Tuesday, May 17, 2005

learning to breathe again

I have been having breathing problem at night, usually started with blocked nose, followed by wheezing, mucus, spasm etc.. the whole 9 yards.. It's scary for me because I used to me asthmatic as a small child. I started having this problem after my trip to kuching in february... ironicly, as a child, my athsma stopped when I left kuching some 15 years ago.

I was awake with the same problem last night... having problem breathing again. I did not take ventolin, just the herbal cough medicine (ubat cap ibu & anak) before I go to sleep.. I felt something in my chest, (mucus?) but could not cough it out. I reached over to my laptop and try to find what's wrong with me...

Then I stumbled on this website.. the theory was that what happening to me is my body way of telling me to breathe slowly.. it's a defence mechanism to avoid me from breathing too much.. that's why it produced mucus, inflamation of the wind pipe, blocked nose, etc.. interesting.. the basic concept of the practise was to breathe small breaths through your nose only, mouth closed.. they even teaches how to clear your blocked nose, by breathing through it!

In desperation, I gave it a try.. it's hard at first.. taking in small breaths and exhaling through my nose with my mouth closed.. 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes later I feel a whole lot better.. seriously.. Alhamdulillah... no more wheezing, no more spasm.. blocked nose is getting better.. I slept on my side just as the website suggested and in not 5 minutes I was asleep..

I was feeling wonderful this morning, even the two day old cough I was having have cleared... amazing.. today I'm going to give the practise another try.. try to climb up 6 flight of stairs at the parking lot.. I can do this with no problem on normal days but when I have this breathing problem, I usually have to stop midway panting for air.. wish me luck... I'm learning to breathe again

Have same problem with me? try visit the site, hope it's as helpful to you as it was to me.

More links to why we should breath through our nose.

1 comment:

  1. i want to breath too.. coz i think i am losing it ..

    ReplyDelete