Friday, April 7, 2006

3 hours bus ride to school

I found this in the paper today...
seems that quite anumber of children are being sent across the causeway in the wee hours in the morning to schools in the Singapore. Some had to be up by 4am to wait for their school busses and the journey would take 3 hours. My walk to school was about 30 minutes which I loved back during my school days. The reason was said to be partly because the schools in singapore has less homeworks for their students.

My first reaction was shocked that the parent would justify 3 hours journey each way with school work load for their kids. Then on second round of reading it all makes clear sense... The parents are actually looking far ahead for their children by sending them to singaporean schools.

Why? because of our fucked up* updated policy that makes it hard for non bumiputra students to get into public universities. We forced them to send their children early in the morning because they feel that the children future is too important to be left to the mercy of our bumiputra-first-at-any -cost policy. I'm pretty sure that they planned for the children to attend Nanyang University as soon as they complete public schooling there.

Sad, more reason we lose good people to other countries everyday and even more reasons we have jobless graduates that unwillingly went to universities on free tickets.

** changed "fucked up" to outdated because the same system gave me a chance to be who I am now. And I am most thank you but I just wish that the same chance not be wasted on people who don't appreciate them,

No comments:

Post a Comment