Wednesday, April 12, 2006

pipot.com is back

so go say hi to my buddy the 3athelete ok..

Today was the first time I'm handling our main server failover execise. Boss feels that he need me to take in bigger roles so asked me to spear head the failover activities while a collegue was put responsible for repair of the faulty server. We had plan this 3 weeks in advance.

After talking and sending out emails to the respective managers, we finally agreed on today's date last 2 weeks ago and I set out to prepare for the serevr switching. I produced documentations, steps for the failover exercise with help form my collegues and I was ready. 1 week to today's date I sent out a reminder of our activities to be carried out today. One of the manager responded. Their boss was also in the loop. And yesterday I set yet another reminder to them with the schedule and reminded them pass the message to effected line supervisors. I went back, excited of what I'll be doing the next day.

I got to the office today after cooking breakfast for my poor sick little mumu munchkins and first email I saw was from one of our technicians. Apparently nobody in the effected lines knows of this activities. Their bosses apprently does not think that it's important for their own people to know that we're shutting down their lines for a good one hour. None of the line supervisor and operators were briefed at all in their morning briefing.

So my migration exercise was delayed alittle bit because we had to get everyone together and brief them what to do. What suposed to be ready for me by 10 was only ready half hour later. I resent that the managers does not communicate to their own people of their decision to let us shutdown the line. I mean if you're not capable of doing that, then what good are you my friend?. We done quite a few of abotu the same exercise for my own organization with absolutely no problem. But I guess that's how you do it in your dis-organization.

But thanks to excellent teamwork within my team and good solid planning, we managed to perform the switchover with no problem at all. We learned that while our own oraganization runs like a well oiled machine, the other oragnization in the same plant have had their heads in their asses since they drop out of their mommy's uteri ( that's rite, thats the plural form of uterus!).

Boss was pleased and commended us for good teamwork. Line operators complained that the downtime was too short for them to go for early break and I don't even mind not getting any Thank-you email from the 2 bastard managers.

1 plant, 2 very different organizations. That's all I had to say.

ps. Marry an english teacher and you too can feel the quilt and peril of using bad grammar/ spelling. ...uteri or uteruses... or can I use both if there's 4 of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment