Wednesday, February 16, 2005

router woes

I got my linksys router yesterday! excited. Plug it in and it works like a charm. Except for my silly laptop could not find any available network at all.. Turned out on HP nc6000 you need to push a button to enable the wifi & bluetooth device. Silly me actually.

Been playing around with the router a bit and I find that my streamyx is somehow faster with the router.. I guess PPPoE implementation on Linksys router is somewhat superior than in Windows XP. And I get good range too for the wifi even through walls to the next room.. Aahh.. now I can work right in front of the telly, sweet!

I went through the configuration, trying to secure down my wireless network but found that the router is running an arcane version of the firmware. Totally unsecured. Wireless SSID broadcasted freely, WEP (yeah rite, like that's even secured.. not to mention too slowwww) no MAC address access list. ok some MAC address filtering but instead of maintaining a list to allow access to the wireless network, it maintains a list of MAC address to deny internet access to. What about local network I say, totally unacceptable!.

Went over to linksys site to find firmware upgrade. Downloaded it but somehow it doesn't work for me. Something I'm doing wrong?. Looks like it will have to wait till next week.

Meanwhile I'm excited about tomorrow's trip! yay! just have few things to do in the office before leaving for kuching.

4 comments:

  1. Man it's good to see others had the same problem, I was so excited when I bought my zd8000, getting ready for wireless and my new computer wouldn't connect boy did I feel silly when I click on the wireless button ;-) Since you have been down this road, I figured I asked. What are you doing about security when you tavel? I'm constantly on the road and I worry about my mail or other personal info getting picked up from my computer. Any ideas on a product I can use to protect myself?

    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings hpuser,
    aahh, I knew I wasn't the only one that did not press the wireless button on my laptop :) For me each time I press the wireless button, a blue light comes on, aah bluetooth I said to myself.

    ooh ok, wireless poses new threat due to your packets travels in the air, as opposed to hard medium in wired LAN.

    For me I use BlackIce Personal Firewall to secure my laptop to only few allowable service ports. This limits the number of ways information can travel to and from my laptop.

    Always make sure you share out only folders that you need to and assign password to them. This is how most files/ data are accessed/ stolen from network anyway.

    When accessing office email I connect via secured VPN to the company's email server. It's an encrypted layer of connection. For web browsing or online transaction I basicly have to depend on SSL (https enabled sites). No worries because most banking sites are SSL enabled.

    I save the best tip for last here, Only enable wireless connection when you need to. :) thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the good advice, I've been reading a gread deal about wireless latetly it appears that more exploits are being done with wireless accesspoints. I started looking at different solutions and I found one from www.isurfsecure.com they provide me with a secure connection to the internet preventing a malicious accesspoint from routing me to an uknow server (Pharming) as well as securing my email downloads. I also decided to user Zone Alarm personal Edition it's free and works great.

    ReplyDelete